Wednesday, July 04, 2007



What's the buzz? Tell me what's a-happening.

APOSTLES

What's the buzz?

Tell me what's a-happening. (Repeat 8 times)

JESUS

Why should you want to know?

Don't you mind about the future?

Don't you try to think ahead?

Save tomorrow for tomorrow;

Think about today instead.

Ah the theatre…I have been absent for so long, I did not think I would remember her. The audition, the call backs, the disappointment, the decision, the chorus, the rehearsals, the singing, the dancing, the laughing, the blocking, the character studies, the theatre games, the youth, the camaraderie, all strike chords in my life.

However, this is community theatre, remember “Waiting for Guffman?” The bankers, Realtors, students, car washers, shoe salesmen, chauffeurs, brokers, managers, engineers, social workers, call center employees and everyone else, coming together to “do a show” and have an experience.

Participating in JCS has revived forgotten memories and reintroduced me to my actor’s soul. As Manny, from A Bug’s Life says so eloquently “You’ve rekindled the long dormant embers of purpose in our lives!”

Whether it is my new purpose or not, I’m back on the boards and it feels good. One time I asked Caitlin if she could sum up her experience at the Las Vegas Youth Orchestra in one word, she said “drama!” Well she is correct, drama swirls around artists like flies on carcasses. Most of the cast members have “history” together and as an outsider, I am given the opportunity to observe the play with-in the play, very amusing indeed. Young and old, (I’m the oldest) gather to do what thespians do best, we pretend. Pretending to be ancient Jews trying to figure out if this Jesus character is God incarnate or just a snake oil salesman, we want a warrior to help us defeat the Romans, yet He offers parables and pacifism.

We start rehearsing on the set this Thursday and I am excited to see what this will bring. Don’t forget to come out and bring your blanket, food, wine and friends. The play runs August 8-11, 15-18, 22-25 at the Spring Mountain Ranch State Park.

"So don't ever worry about tomorrow. After all, tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Stop Judging! Matthew 6:34

No comments: