Thursday, April 27, 2006



What’s so special about a sunrise?

It was early, it was cold and it was dark. I don’t know how many sunrises I’ve seen in my life, but most have been associated with work, travel or fishing. The chance of seeing another sunrise on Easter was more of a novelty, something I knew people did, but I had never done. Yet, I was determined to wake the family and get that experience checked off my list of things to do.

Like many family gatherings, we were running a bit late, getting a little agitated and squabbling about directions. We arrived at Lone Mountain Park, found our peeps and buzzed around each other gathering drops of pollen to feed our souls. Our church didn’t have a show planned. It was simply being together that provided the dialogue, catching up with everyone provided the blocking, and the direction came from the east.

Before the sun rose there was a radiance. Our eyes, having adjusted to darkness, welcomed the amber luster that provided abundant brightness. The conversations trickled off and our star peeked over the horizon. All eyes were on the sun, all hearts beat as one. After that, the magic happened. A pink blush covered all our faces and we were young again. Silently staring at the rising sun, dwelling on the risen Son, we gazed at providence.

No comments: