Thursday, June 04, 2009



The Wedding of the Quarter Century

Before this day is lost in the memories of work, orchestra, ballet, bug bites and neck pains, I would like to take a moment to ponder the significance of being married for twenty five years.

First, it has gone by in the blink of an eye. It seems like just yesterday that I was sporting the mustache and dancing on the boards. Our children were babies and our concerns were simple.

Twenty five years of life together creates memories and familiarity that cannot be measured by blogs or tweets. Life rolls on like the endless waves that crash upon the beaches of our being. We merely pass through and leave a trail of love that is washed away.

I have a vivid memory about getting married. I remember that I once told Heidi that we could both walk on the same path and see totally different things and that's what I loved about her. She would tell me what she saw and I'd listen and I'd tell her what I saw and she would listen. No judgment, just the beautiful ability to expand our own vision of what we know.

So we keep walking through this crazy, wonderful life together. Not perfect by any means, but together. A four-eyed married mess making small steps together.

On our silver anniversary...we're going for the gold.

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

I really love this.